Thursday, January 17, 2008

OPENING REMARKS-by Mike Vernon

Good morning. I'm Mike, the oldest of the four children--the boy that made Helen a mother.

Dad called me on Monday morning and told me that Mom wasn’t doing very well, that she was probably going to pass in the next few hours. I was overwhelmed. It was crushing. I knew this day was coming. I knew that Mom had not been doing well, and suffering, and enduring nausea. We all kind of felt like it would be nice, it would be a relief, for her to not have to experience any more. But the moment that Dad told me that her time was near, I was overwhelmed. I cried. I felt terrible. I wanted to be by her side. I rushed to the airport. I really wanted to make it.

Dad said, “try your best, but it’s unlikely you’re going to be here when she passes.” She didn’t even live until I got on the flight. I tell you this because it’s all so much…and so unexpected in spite of the fact that we knew it was her time to depart in peace.

Since that Monday morning—those initial waves of emotion that went through me—I haven’t felt that way. I’ve felt calm and peaceful. I’ve even doubted myself: “Should I feel worse? Should I feel different? Why don’t I feel a wreck?” I’ve just felt content and peaceful. I know why, and I wanted to share with you why I know why.

I wanted to share with you the words of Alma in the Book of Mormon speaking to his son Corianton. This can be found in Alma chapter 40 verses 7, 9, 11 and 12. These are the words of Alma to his son:
And now I would inquire what becometh of the souls of men from this time of death to the time appointed for the resurrection?

Therefore, there is a time appointed unto men that they shall rise from the dead; and there is a space between the time of death and the resurrection. And now, concerning this space of time, what becometh of the souls of men is the thing which I have inquired diligently of the Lord to know; and this is the thing of which I do know.

Now, concerning the state of the soul between death and the resurrection—Behold, it has been made known unto me by an angel, that the spirits of all men, as soon as they are departed from this mortal body, yea, the spirits of all men, whether they be good or evil, are taken home to that God who gave them life.

And then shall it come to pass, that the spirits of those who are righteous are received into a state of happiness, which is called paradise, a state of rest, a state of peace, where they shall rest from all their troubles and from all care, and sorrow.
I thought I would feel more at ease saying those things. I guess it is tough to have Mom pass, sometimes. Brothers and Sisters, Mom’s peaceful. Mom’s in paradise. Sometimes I wonder if she even has a moment to peek down upon us who are lamenting her loss, and empathize. I just see her with all those who preceded her in death, and she’s happy. And that’s what I wanted to share with you…. This is why I am so at peace. She is not gone, she, a righteous woman, continues.

I’m going to turn the time over to my brother, Matt, who is going to share with you a talk that he wrote about ten years ago at Brigham Young University. Upon hearing it for the first time I asked him for a copy. I’ve taken it and made it my own and delivered it in other congregational settings, but we decided that since he wrote it, he should share it.

I leave you these words in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

No comments: